The Old Cemeteries Society is honouring Peter Leech, who was a member of the Royal Engineers.
Sunday, July 13th, 2014
12:30 pm to 3:30pm
Ross Bay Villa – 1490 Fairfield Road
The British Columbia Historical Association erected this most impressive cairn at Leechtown in 1928, using the stones from the ruins of the fireplace and chimney of what had been the Gold Commissioner’s house in the old mining days. On October 1st, 1928, His Honour Lieutenant-Governor R. Randolph Bruce unveiled the cairn.
[The cairn was more recently destroyed by vandals. Leechtown was a gold mining town up the Sooke River, above Sooke Potholes.]
The Honourable Judith Guichon, O.B.C., Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia will attend at the invitation of the Old Cemeteries Society.
Members of Peter Leech’s family will also be present.
There will be a tour of Ross Bay Cemetery for the invited guests, to visit the grave of Peter Leech. Addresses will be given and a piper will play a lament.